Skip to main content

Listen up!!! THIS IS A CUBAN SANDWICH!!!

As I watch various food shows and read food blogs, and see reviews of local restaurants, I continually run across some bozo who is selling a 'cuban sandwich'. Except, they're NOT selling a cuban sandwich.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the cuban sandwich. The classic cuban sandwich was born in Tampa Florida during the 1880s and was consumed mostly by the cigar factory workers in the Ybor City section of town. It is a very specific thing which I will describe below.

Before I do though, let me explain why I feel it necessary to do this. All my life I've been seeing cooks, institutions, writers and various other folk mislabeling all kinds of different concoctions as the cuban sandwich. I mean, even going to school in the Tampa Bay area, they would serve us bologna sandwiches on longbread for lunch and call it a cuban sandwich. When one cares about food, and when one experiences this kind of thing long enough, one feels the need to set the record straight. So here we go.

The Cuban Sandwich

This sandwich, while being incredibly tasty and satisfying, is pretty simple. However, it is IMPERITIVE to use the right ingredients!

  • Cuban bread - cuban bread is very similar to a french baguette, but the body of the bread tends to be a bit lighter and less dense. One can get away with a good baguette, but it's not the same as cuban pan.
  • Sliced roast pork - not pulled pork, not mexican carnitas. This should be pork butt, or loin roasted, cooled and sliced in about 1/8" slices.
  • Serrano ham - this is a cured, dense, flavorful ham from Spain. Similar to prosciutto or a real Smithfield ham. Smithfield will substitute if need be. The ham should be sliced at about 1/8".
  • Swiss cheese - not fontina, not parmesan, certainly not cheddar! Regular swiss cheese with the holes in it. Sliced at about 1/8".
  • Pickles - nothing fancy here, just regular old dill pickle chips. The kind you get on a fast food hamburger.
  • Margarine - that's right margarine. As an avowed butter addict, it's hard for me to list margarine, but that's what they use on the real cuban sandwich, so use it!
Slice the bread horizontally (cubans are typically like a big submarine sandwich, say 6-12 inches)
Slather both sides with margarine
Lay the swiss cheese out on one side of the bread
Lay the roast pork out on the opposite side of the bread
Lay the ham on top of the pork
Lay the pickles on the cheese
Assemble the sandwich and put into a sandwich press until the cheese is melted and the bread toasty

That's a Cuban Sandwich. I like mine with a Batido de Chocolate (chocolate shake).

Comments

icequinn said…
You must come to visit and have the real deal from Versailles!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Invasion (repost)

The ships arrived at dawn and by 8:00 AM it was clear that wherever the aliens were from, they were far, far ahead of us technologically. They demanded not a world or national leader or statesman, not a poet laureate, but a common person to whom they would explain their demands. I had spent the night passed out at the laundromat after a party at Sullivan's. It was there that the UN Security Force found me and hustled me onto the alien shuttle. There were hordes of politicos, strategists, academics, etc. all babbling incessantly about what I should say and try to learn. I was just thinking of a cold Heineken and some sardines and crackers. On the ship I was led to a smallish room with a huge dais sized couch thing and a smaller, humanform chair. I took the chair. Shortly our alien invader appeared. It was big. REALLY big, like elephant big. It's body would be best described as fish like. Its head was a sunken cavity in the large end of the fish body that had two eyestalk like ap

A Rose By Any Other Name...

I was walking home from the grocery store yesterday and a flight of urban pigeons caught my eye as they flew toward me. As usual, a couple of them were flying precariously low, so that as they came closer I instinctively ducked. When this happens I'm not near as concerned that a pigeon is going to collide with me as I am that one is going to shit on me. It's happened. Anyway, all of this got me to thinking about...err...shit! I know this isn't an attractive topic for the old blog, but think about it -- for something as useless as shit, the human race has come up with a lot of words for it. They say Inuits have 100 different words to describe snow. I decided to see how many words came to mind to mean shit. Here goes: shit crap caca dung cowpie (specialized) manure spoor droppings guano excrement turd feces scat ordure That's about all that I can some up with. 14. That's 14 words to describe something that's useful for two things, fertilizer and medical dia

Tips for Happy Living

I am, at 50, what's called a 'confirmed bachelor'. That's a nice way of saying that I've spent so much of my life alone, I'm no longer fit to live in close society. My dear mother, before shedding the mortal coil, used to call me a bohemian because I also happen to be a musician and, well a bit of a lazy slob. I tend to live an artistic and intellectual life as much as possible and don't place a lot of importance in the trappings and activities that most people do. Okay, I'm weird. I was noticing that there are a plethora of materials out there; magazines, tv shows, etc. that help people to live what I call a 'normal' (notice the quotes) life. You know, magazines like Good Housekeeping, Home and Garden, New Bride, TV Guide, Health and Guns and Ammo. These things often feature articles on how to effectively do the things that 'normals' like (or feel they need) to do. I thought it would be nice to have a list of things that might hel