Skip to main content

Coven



It was a warm spring night and Trey was walking down a long country road about forty miles outside of Charleston S.C. He had been on his way to New Orleans when the car broke down. Now he was hiking down the road hoping there was a gas station or truck stop within a reasonable distance. There was a light breeze that played over his skin as he walked. He could make out the trees, laced with spanish moss in the light of the full moon. There was jasmine on the air and sounds of various insects calling for potential mates filled the air.

He looked down the road in the distance and saw what appeared to be a human figure waiting for him. He wasn’t so sure he could trust his eyes, but as he got closer he saw that he had been correct. There was a woman standing in the road ahead of him. Drawing up to her he stopped and quickly took her in. She was a beautiful woman with dark hair and eyes. Probably in her twenties or thirties, but her eyes held the look of a person much older and more experienced. She had large breasts and a voluptuous, yet fit figure. She wore blue jeans with a plain white button down shirt under a black women’s blazer. He immediately thought of the actress Isabella Rosellini.

“Hello Ma’am. My name is Trey. Do you need any help?” he asked her

“I could ask you the same thing Trey. Are you in need of help?” she replied

“No Ma’am. Soon as I find a gas station I’ll be fine. My POS broke down a few miles back.”

“POS?” she asked

“Oh, yes Ma’am. Piece Of Shit. That’s what my car is.” he replied, grinning

“Please Trey, stop calling me Ma’am. My name is Iruna.”

“Iruna? That’s a really pretty name.”

“Do you think so?”

“Yes, I do.”

“It was my mother’s name and her mother’s before her. Tell me Trey, how old are you? What do you do?”

“I’m twenty four years old Iruna. I guess if I had to name an occupation it would be cook. I’ve done a lot of different jobs, but I keep going back to cooking. I’m pretty good at it. I’m thinking about going to culinary school. Thing is, every asshole rich kid that can’t do math goes to culinary school these days, so I’m not sure it’s the place for me. That’s why I’m heading to NOLA. A buddy of mine has a good job lined up for me.”

“NOLA? Do you mean New Orleans?”

“You bet I do. I love that town. Ever been?”

“I’ve spent some time there over the years. I have a house there.” she said

“Wow! I love NOLA, I truly do.”

“I see. Tell me Trey, do you have family around here?”

“Oh no. I don’t have any family anywhere anymore. They are all gone.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. I hope I didn’t bring up any painful memories.”

“It’s fine Iruna. My people passed a while ago. I’ve pretty much moved on. Well, gee. I don’t feel right about leaving you out here by yourself. Do you want me to walk you home or anything?”

“Why yes, having you come home was just what I had in mind.” she said

And with lightning speed she struck Trey on the head, knocking him out cold on the dirt road.



He heard a pulsing sound, far away. As he listened it grew louder in his ears until he thought his head would explode. Then he was awake. The pulsing sound began to recede and he realized he had been hearing his heartbeat. There was a dull ache behind his eyes and a sharp pain toward the back of his head. He was cold. As he sat up he realized that he was naked and sitting on a cold concrete or stone floor. As his eyes adjusted, he looked around and discovered that he was in some kind of room, a cellar or basement. He was surrounded on three sides by walls and on the fourth by bars. How the fuck had he ended up in jail? All he remembered was talking to a really nice woman about New Orleans. He stood and moved around inspecting his cell. There wasn’t anything to inspect. No bed. No toilet or sink. No bench. Nothing. Just walls, bars, floor and ceiling. The anemic light came from an exposed forty watt bulb hanging in the middle of the space beyond the bars. He called out “Hello. Anybody there. Hello!” But there was no answer. This was the damndest drunk tank he had ever been in. These little southern towns could get pretty whacky. Despite the cold, he decided he’d settle down and try to sleep until breakfast showed up in the morning.



Something shook him from his sleep violently and he realized that it had been a hard kick to the abdomen. As he came to and looked up, another blow landed to the side of his face. It hurt. A lot. His assailant grabbed his head on either side and hoisted him to his feet, then off of his feet and hurled him forcefully into the bars. He slid down to the floor and looked up into the face of a sixteen year old girl wearing jean shorts and a tshirt.

“Well looky here. It’s awake.” she sneered

“Why are you hitting me?” Trey yelled

“Shut up bloodbag!” she screamed as she kicked him in the chest

This sent crushing pain throughout his body. He was pretty sure a couple of ribs had broken, but wouldn’t be sure until he got his breath back in a couple of weeks.

“I brought you some breakfast shitstain.” she said, tossing a pie plate down at his feet.

He examined the contents of the plate and was appalled. There were a few slices of bologna that were slightly green, molded cheese, what appeared to be some corned beef hash straight out of the can and a week old, and a few vienna sausages. His stomach turned at the thought of eating it.

“Well, go ahead maggot. Eat! What’s wrong, not good enough for you?” she demanded

“I err, I’m not really hungry, thanks.” he said

“Not hungry? After I go to all of the trouble to make you a wholesome meal, you’re gonna turn your nose up at it? Are you trying to offend me? Eat!”

He regarded the plate warily and found the least green edge of bologna and nibbled it tentatively. It was spoiled and he gagged trying to eat it.

“You’re lucky you fucking insect. She has ordered that you not be killed or I’d rip your fucking head off and empty you right now!” she screamed, baring a sizeable set of fangs

After she left, Trey tried to rest and recover from his injuries. He had always been pretty resilient physically, but she had really whipped his ass good and the fangs had him wondering about the whack in the head he had taken the night before. He soon drifted off to sleep.

Sometime later he awoke to find a young man in his twenties sitting opposite him on the floor. The man was slender and pale with short cropped hair and a beard.

“You must be Trey.” he said with a slight grin

“Yes. Trey is my name.” he said, sitting up “and you are?”

“My name is Simon Beaufort Olivier Fontainebleau. You can call me Simon.” he said

“You are of French extraction?” Trey asked

“Why yes! My parents were both born there and emigrated to New Orleans where our family established itself quite prominently. My, little Katy worked you over pretty good, didn’t she?”

“Katy? Is that her name? Yes. She seemed really angry at me for some reason. And strong!”

“Yes, well, little Katy has always been a hellion. She’s probably worried that she will get less attention from Iruna with you joining us here.?

“So you and Katy live with Iruna? Are you her kids?” Trey asked

“In a manner of speaking we are. But there are actually twelve of us here. I’m sure you will meet some of the others. We have to split up the chores to take care of you. Speaking of which, I’ve brought you some more food and some water. Don’t worry, the fare isn’t anything special, but I made sure it wasn’t spoiled or moldy. It’s all over there in the corner when you want it.”

“Thank you Simon. Hey, before you go, can I ask you something?”

“Certainly my boy…”

“Why exactly am I here? Who ARE you people? And did Katy have FANGS?”

At that, Simon rose and headed out the door in the bars laughing.

A few minutes later Trey reached into the bag with the food that Simon had left and immediately felt a sharp object cut his fingers. He shook the contents of the bag out on the floor and found a few pieces of bread and fruit all covered with pulverized glass. He opened the water and poured some over the cuts to rinse them. He noticed the cuts were starting to burn and sting. He tested the water and found it to be full of salt. So Simon wasn’t such a nice guy after all.

The next day (he was calling the time intervals days, but had no way of knowing how long they actually were) Katy returned with another rancid meal and another ass kicking, followed by more threats and fang baring.

It was starting to dawn on him that these were not normal people he was dealing with. Katy and her fangs, and both Iruna and Simon had seemed much older than they appeared to be. And why were they keeping him in this dungeon? Were these a bunch of devil worshipers? Was he going to be gutted on some altar stolen from a head shop somewhere?

A while later Iruna and two others came to the dungeon and watched him through the bars. Occasionally Iruna would whisper something to one or the other of them. One of them stepped into the cell with him. He was a large man, about six feet three inches tall and weighing probably around two hundred and thirty pounds. He had broad shoulders and a ruddy complexion with sandy colored long hair and a barrel chest. He stepped toward Trey, reached out, grabbed him by the throat and hoisted him off of his feet at arm’s length. Trey hung there, grabbing the man’s hand with both of his and kicking his feet trying to get free. As he struggled, choking, Trey felt himself growing angry and fighting hard to get loose, despite his pain and fatigue. After a few minutes that seemed like hours, the man threw him to the floor. He then strode over and placed a boot on Trey’s chest and applied an enormous amount of weight, causing Trey’s torso to explode with pain from his broken ribs and to grab the boot to try to lift it off. After a minute or so of this he lost his temper and began ranting at the big man, threatening to do horrible things to him. As he heard Iruna almost whisper “George.” The man lifted his foot and left the cell. Next, the other one entered. A very attractive, provocatively dressed beauty. She approached him like a streetwalker trying to pick up a john. A lascivious walk accompanied by obscene gestures in the face and mouth. When she reached him, she produced a chair and ordered him to sit.

“Hello Trey. We’re going to have some fun, you and I. Are you ready?” she asked

He wasn’t sure if he’d ever be ready, but nodded his head because he felt it was expected.

“What you need to know Trey is that your position here is futile. We’re stronger than you. You are in our power. We can do horrible things to you and nobody can stop us. And that’s exactly what I’m going to do. Horrible things.” she said producing a big, evil looking combat knife

“Maybe, I’ll take your ears.” she said moving the blade around his ears

“Or maybe the human sex parts.” she said waving it down across his genitals

At this point Trey found himself getting very angry again, shaking in his seat, fuming.

“Fuck you. Do what you’re gonna do, just shut the fuck up about it!” he screamed

A flurry of headblows followed.

“Getting angry will do you no good Trey, you’re mine. Maybe I’ll gut you.”

“Eat shit you cunt. Let me up out of this chair and fight me. I’ll kick your ass!” he bellowed

“That kind of talk can get you very dead!” she said, poising the knife for a thrust

“Elizabeth!” from Iruna and she stopped, turned and headed for the cell door.

Trey wasn’t having it. He sprung out of the chair and leapt at her, jumping on her back and pounding her head on both sides, all the time screaming like a madman.

He had caught her off guard and it took a moment for her to get her bearings. When she did, she hurled him to the floor and kicked him so hard that he slid about eight feet across the floor. Naked. They left. He cried, and slept.



After he had been there about a week by his estimation, two new creatures appeared at the cell door. They were both male, in their twenties and looked like the anorexic EMO youth found on any urban street and every University classroom.

“Trey? I’m Andy and this is John.” he said

“Whoopdee fucking doo! Who’s beating me up first?” Trey asked

“Nobody is here to beat you Trey. We are here to take you to Iruna.”

“Great, so I guess she wants to beat me up. Okay, what the fuck. Let’s go.” he said

They let him out of the cell and each took an arm to help him walk. They walked into a hallway to a small elevator and took it up four floors.

“What are we in, a fucking office building or something?” Trey asked

“No, but it is a large house. A mansion I guess.” said Andy or John, he couldn’t remember which was which

They exited the elevator, walked down a hall and into a room. A very large room. On one side was a Victorian study with bookshelves, carpet, a large table, all done in dark hardwood. The table had a spread of fruits, cheeses, bread and pastry, and wine. Iruna sat in a winged chair waiting for them.

“Thank you boys. You may leave.” she said

He stood staring at her, forgetting he was naked, dirty, and bruised, and marvelled again at how beautiful she was. Alluring, that was the word. He was a bit shaky on his feet and began to wobble in place. She guided him to another chair opposite hers, and covered him with a thick comforter. He was situated with the food and wine at his left elbow. After pondering him for a few moments she spoke:

“I’m sure you have a lot of questions about your situation, and I’ll answer them all, but please allow me to do things in my own order. First, please eat and drink. You need the sustenance. There is nothing wrong with the food, no tricks. Please enjoy.”

He helped himself to some wine and it was excellent. He could feel his strength returning as he drank several glasses, along with some bread with cheese and ham. As he ate and drank, Iruna sat very still and watched him, saying nothing. When he had finished, she got up and helped him up and guided him to the other side of the large room which had been converted into a bathroom. She placed him into the large tub filled with scented oils and suds and bid him to lie back and relax in the hot water. She extinguished the electric lights in favor of the candles that burned around the room. As he lied in the water, she took a sponge and began to wash his soiled body from head to toe. As he soaked she brought him more wine and he drank and felt as though he were floating away.

When he felt as though he were beginning to waterlog, he rose from the tub and she wrapped him in soft towels and dried him, then dressed him in jeans and a tshirt. They moved back to their chairs to talk.

“How do you feel?” she asked

“I feel fine, I hate being dirty and the hot water was good.”

“And the pain?”

“Oh I’m ok….wait, what the hell!” he exclaimed, noticing the absence of any pain or bruising “what happened?” he asked

“I gave you a little something to help speed up your healing processes. You’ll be fine.”

“Well Iruna, I don’t know whether to think you or curse you. I’m totally confused. You knock me out, lock me up, have all of those people beat the shit out of me, and I think there’s something not normal about any of you people.”

“Let me explain myself Trey. What I’m about to tell you is absolutely true. You’re going to think I’m crazy, or that you’re crazy, but we’re not and I’ll prove everything. Just hear me out, okay?” she asked

“Okay, fine. Lay it on me.” he said

“I am three thousand years old. I am a vampire. All of those that you’ve seen since coming here are vampires. They are my children, my coven. There are twelve of them. Simon was born in 1734. Katy in 1973. George in 1803. Elizabeth in 1636.”

“Okay, what’s that got to do with me?”

“I’m always on the lookout for potential new coven members. As we talked the other night I gotta feeling about you and I fell in love with you immediately. I knew I had to have you with me.”

“Wait, so you want me to become a vampire in your coven here? Am I hearing you correctly?” he asked

“Essentially yes. That’s exactly what I want.”

“Well I have a few questions. First of all, why the dungeon and the abuse?”

“Not just anybody can be a vampire Trey. It takes a certain kind of resilience, strength, and pent up fury. The past five days have been a test for me to see if you have the qualities needed to survive as a vampire. And you did very well indeed. I told Katy to be cruel and physically harsh with you and you took it like a champ. The other visits were just more of the same until I came down with George and Elizabeth. I wanted to see if you had that rage that is so important to someone who shouts at the devil you were showing me something, but when you actually attacked Elizabeth! Thrilling!”

“Well, I guess that explains it. So what does becoming a vampire and a member of the coven entail exactly?”

“There’s a procedure. I drain your body to the point of death then refill you from my veins. This transforms your blood, which transforms you. Then your body dies, which is a bit painful, but quick. And voila! As for coven member, that entails following my orders and rules, allowing other members to mentor you and as you grow older, mentoring others.”

“And what does it feel like to be a vampire?” Trey asked

“Remember earlier when I healed you? I did that by putting a few drops of my blood in your wine. It’s that times a million. And the longer you live as a vampire, the stronger you get.”

“And here’s the million dollar question. What happens if I don’t want to join?”

“Well historically, that situation can go a few different ways. If I didn’t really love you, I’d just kill you if you refused. I wouldn’t tell you that, because I don’t want people agreeing to this out of coercion. But in your case, I’d probably do a memory wipe of the past few days and put you back on the road.”

“You can do that?” he asked

“Oh that and much more!” she replied

“Like what?”

“Join us and find out.” she said with a smile



Trey laid in his bed contemplating his decision. “Vampire or cook, vampire, or cook?” Right. Like there was really a decision to be made here. He had seen enough to know that what Iruna had told him was true. He was also sure that there was probably plenty of down side that she wasn’t sharing with him. But it was entre to the supernatural. And what else was he doing anyway? His decision was made, his fate sealed.

She turned him that night and everything was pretty much as she had described it. His body dying pretty much sucked, but it was quick as she had said it would be. Afterward he couldn’t believe how he felt. A feeling of power coursed through him. His vision was totally different. He could see long distances, and the smallest of movements. His hearing was hundreds of times more acute than it had been. Iruna said that it would take a little time to get used to these new senses and then he could start learning how to use his new abilities.

Things went well for the next few months. He acclimated to his new set of senses and skills. He began to feel comfortable in the coven and with all of the members. He learned how to feed and cause mayhem when it was decided that the coven should do that. Things were good.



One night Iruna called him to her chambers.

“For the next several nights you are to come to me and drink from my veins.” she said

“Yes Iruna. May I ask the purpose of this?” he asked

“I will discuss that with you later, for now just come and drink.” she said

He did as she asked and for the next ten nights he drank from her. Her blood sent him reeling with its power. As he drank he also shared her life experiences through the blood. Memories of Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece, Rome. Victims, lovers. It was all there. Physically her blood made him feel more powerful than ever. He could move great objects, smash steel with his hands, and jump to great heights.

For weeks Iruna spent her nights with him showing him how to use powers he didn’t know he had. Mind reading, influencing thought, kinetic movement, and flight were all available to him. On the last night she showed him one of his greatest powers. They tracked two vampires down a rainy street, shielding their thoughts and their presence from them. As the two vampires loitered outside of a seedy bar, Iruna said “Watch now and learn.” Trey felt the energy as she hurled it toward the two, both of whom burst into flames a second later. Trey was astounded and looked at her in awe.

“How did you do that?” he asked

“You can do it. Follow me.”

She led him in flight out to the countryside.

“Concentrate on the small tree and burn it.” she said

Trey tried and tried but nothing happened. After an hour he was frustrated and becoming angry when Iruna, also becoming frustrated, was a bit short with him. Then it happened. It just shot out of him and the tree burst into flame. They both jumped up and down and spent the next two hours running around burning various plants and objects.



“It is now time for me to share my plans with you, my love” said Iruna, facing him one night

“Tell me.”

“You are to be my husband.” she said

“Have I any say in the matter?” he asked teasing her

“Will you?”

“Of course I will Iruna.”

“Then I need you to do something first. It won’t be an easy thing, but it must be done.”

“What is it?”

“It is time for a fresh start for me, and for us. The coven must be dissolved.” she said

“Okay, so what do you do? Spin around three times and say ‘I dissolve thee’ or something?” he asked

“Don’t be a fool. No for the coven to be dissolved you are going to have to kill the others.”

“What? Why? Why not just tell them and send them on their way?” he asked

“Trey, it’s not so simple. Many of these have been with me for hundreds of years. If I try to send them away they will become angry and resentful. Vengeance will come next and I’ll have a small war on my hands. No, I won’t go through that again.”

“Well then why don’t you kill them. Why do I have to do it?”

“Because I’m too attached. I can’t kill them. I can barely ask you to do it. But if we’re to have any peace this is the only way. Please, you must.” she pleaded

He thought about it. He didn’t want to do it, but he loved her. And she had done so much for him, how could he refuse her?

“How would I do it?” he asked

“I’ve given you the tools, just them and kill them.”

“I know, but would you have me kill them all at once, one at a time? How?” he asked

“I don’t care, though all at once would be quite challenging. I think one or two at a time over a few days. Please just do it and let me know when you’ve finished.”

He left her chamber to plan his attack when he ran into Simon in the corridor.

“Hello Simon.” he said

“Hello Trey. Might I have a word?”

“Certainly.”

“Have you noticed anything strange about Iruna lately?” Simon asked

“Not particularly, why do you ask?”

“Well, keep this between us, but she and I have quite fallen in love. I mean, I always loved her, as one does the queen, but lately we have been in love. She’s given me quite a bit of her blood and the abilities that go with it.”

“Well Simon that’s very interesting.” Trey replied, totally confused by this news

“Thing is, earlier this evening she told me that she wanted me to be her husband and to kill everybody else in the coven. I don’t know whether to take her seriously or if she’s quite mad!”

Comments

Chief-Dweeb said…
I like the setup, but it didn't quite come off for me. It was not that the plot was flawed, but rather that the way it was revealed was not quite convincing. For instance, the initial trauma seemed a bit like a Hollywood B-movie - there needed to be something about the specific torture that was new and/or interesting. His falling in love also seemed a little too quick.

On the other hand, I loved his "cook or vampire, cook or vampire" analysis. That was camp in just the right way.

I would have liked to experience more about him learning how to be a vampire and being seduced by the power of being a vampire.

The ending left me unsatisfied for two reasons - 1) I did not find it believable that the other vampire would confide in the protagonist, and 2) it is not at all clear what the head vampire's evil plan is.

I guess my reaction is 1) excellent plot - or at least excellent start, 2) what happens needs to be sharpened so it is not so B-movie-esque, and 3) it can't end where it ends...

Popular posts from this blog

The Invasion (repost)

The ships arrived at dawn and by 8:00 AM it was clear that wherever the aliens were from, they were far, far ahead of us technologically. They demanded not a world or national leader or statesman, not a poet laureate, but a common person to whom they would explain their demands. I had spent the night passed out at the laundromat after a party at Sullivan's. It was there that the UN Security Force found me and hustled me onto the alien shuttle. There were hordes of politicos, strategists, academics, etc. all babbling incessantly about what I should say and try to learn. I was just thinking of a cold Heineken and some sardines and crackers. On the ship I was led to a smallish room with a huge dais sized couch thing and a smaller, humanform chair. I took the chair. Shortly our alien invader appeared. It was big. REALLY big, like elephant big. It's body would be best described as fish like. Its head was a sunken cavity in the large end of the fish body that had two eyestalk like ap

Self Realization

Myron noticed one day that the ground beneath him was growing soft. As time progressed, the spot became softer, gradually becoming a hole. Gradually Myron began to sink into the hole and over the next few weeks found himself lowering a little more each day. Finally, one morning, Myron awoke at the bottom of the dark pit and discovered that he had lost himself. Myron was never able to climb out into the light.

Extended Warranty

At sixty years old, she was healthy and happy. She had been trained as a physicist and had spent her career doing research in the field of astrophysics. She had also taught and had enjoyed both her research and teaching careers immensely. Now retired, she occasionally consulted on projects for agencies such as NASA and JPL, but mostly spent her time puttering around the house with her dogs. She had never married or had children, and most of her family were now deceased. Though she often missed her parents and siblings she never felt lonely. She was an optimist at heart and lived accordingly. One day Liz was out for a hike, something she did almost every day. She lived near the foothills of a mountain range and often went on day hikes there. It was a great way for her to exercise and she found peace strolling up and down the paths of the forested hills. She was just coming off of the trail to head back to her car when she was struck. She never knew what hit her, it was too fast and she