Skip to main content

Tolls and Pikes. Let's not fall for any of that crap again!

I live in New England where toll roads are quite common. I hate toll roads. I hate the very concept of a toll road. Why? Because toll roads are a cheap hustle foisted on people by local, state and national gov'ts, who ought to be more interested in serving the general public, not hustling them.

Most toll roads start out with the idea that there's a location that would be really well served by a new road, or bridge, or other piece of infrastructure.  Trouble is, there's no money in the budget for it and no politician wants to propose a tax hike. So, a proposal is made for a toll road. A road will be built at location X, stretching to location Y. It will be of n number of lanes, blah blah blah. It is quite common, at this stage of development (proposal) for a statement along the lines of "the total costs for the road should be covered by collected tolls over a 20 year period".

When's the last time you saw a toll road lose its toll? There are roads like these that have been operating for 50 years and they still charge a toll. As a matter of fact, the tolls usually go up periodically! Great bureaucracies grow around these roads, toll collector's unions, you name it. All wanting to continue to suck at the teat of the great toll hog.

And what is the deal with these 'turnpikes'. I've driven on many turnpikes and guess what. They're a hunk of highway indistinguishable from every other hunk of highway I've driven on. There's nothing special about them, yet one can spend healthy sums using them....why?  Here in Massachusetts we have the Mass. Turnpike Authority. Guess what they do?  They maintain a big road. The state manages to maintain a whole bunch of big roads, but for some reason we need an 'Authority' to maintain this road. Sounds like the Masspike has an attitude problem.

Maybe it's because of where I live that I don't see too many proposals for toll roads (or bridges) anymore. I hope they've gone the way of the Dodo bird. But if anybody starts talking about this crap in your neighborhood, squelch them immediately?

These type of public works projects should be handled the American way. Like the Big Dig here in Beantown. The largest construction project in the world. Proposed at 4 years and 3 billion dollars, came in at 11 years and 38 billion dollars. Several people killed the first year as pieces of the underpasses fell on cars.

But at least we won't be paying tolls on it for 50 years to come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invasion (repost)

The ships arrived at dawn and by 8:00 AM it was clear that wherever the aliens were from, they were far, far ahead of us technologically. They demanded not a world or national leader or statesman, not a poet laureate, but a common person to whom they would explain their demands. I had spent the night passed out at the laundromat after a party at Sullivan's. It was there that the UN Security Force found me and hustled me onto the alien shuttle. There were hordes of politicos, strategists, academics, etc. all babbling incessantly about what I should say and try to learn. I was just thinking of a cold Heineken and some sardines and crackers. On the ship I was led to a smallish room with a huge dais sized couch thing and a smaller, humanform chair. I took the chair. Shortly our alien invader appeared. It was big. REALLY big, like elephant big. It's body would be best described as fish like. Its head was a sunken cavity in the large end of the fish body that had two eyestalk like ap

A Rose By Any Other Name...

I was walking home from the grocery store yesterday and a flight of urban pigeons caught my eye as they flew toward me. As usual, a couple of them were flying precariously low, so that as they came closer I instinctively ducked. When this happens I'm not near as concerned that a pigeon is going to collide with me as I am that one is going to shit on me. It's happened. Anyway, all of this got me to thinking about...err...shit! I know this isn't an attractive topic for the old blog, but think about it -- for something as useless as shit, the human race has come up with a lot of words for it. They say Inuits have 100 different words to describe snow. I decided to see how many words came to mind to mean shit. Here goes: shit crap caca dung cowpie (specialized) manure spoor droppings guano excrement turd feces scat ordure That's about all that I can some up with. 14. That's 14 words to describe something that's useful for two things, fertilizer and medical dia

Tips for Happy Living

I am, at 50, what's called a 'confirmed bachelor'. That's a nice way of saying that I've spent so much of my life alone, I'm no longer fit to live in close society. My dear mother, before shedding the mortal coil, used to call me a bohemian because I also happen to be a musician and, well a bit of a lazy slob. I tend to live an artistic and intellectual life as much as possible and don't place a lot of importance in the trappings and activities that most people do. Okay, I'm weird. I was noticing that there are a plethora of materials out there; magazines, tv shows, etc. that help people to live what I call a 'normal' (notice the quotes) life. You know, magazines like Good Housekeeping, Home and Garden, New Bride, TV Guide, Health and Guns and Ammo. These things often feature articles on how to effectively do the things that 'normals' like (or feel they need) to do. I thought it would be nice to have a list of things that might hel