Skip to main content

This Old House...

Living in the city affords one many opportunities to see interesting architecture. But I'm not talking about new architecture, or even classic architecture. Actually, I'm not talking about architecture at all, but it was a good opener. I'm talking about buildings. I live in a city that's been around for a while, so there's a lot of old buildings that have been repurposed again and again over the years. In the old days though, they often marked buildings so that you can tell when they were built. In newer buildings (by that I mean buildings from the last 30 years or so) there may not be so many discrete date plaques or whatever, but you can sometimes tell from the shape of a building or some other indicator its relative age or original purpose. I you really pay attention to these things you can sometimes get an interesting archeological perspective on run of the mill buildings you walk past everyday. I'll list a few from my neighborhood so you can see what I mean:

-One side of my building borders the back parking lot for a large building that is sort of mini mall. It's owned by a local University and is a massive building (about half a city block long) four stories high. The upper levels are used by the University for classrooms and offices. The street level has a sporting goods store, a Japanese market, and a bunch of Japanese restaurants. The lower level has a health club. Since they bought it 10 years ago, the University has dressed up the outside of the building with awnings and accoutrement that display the University's name. However, due to the general size and shape of the buiding, and the name and date carved in the concrete at the top of the main facade, you can tell that this was once a large Sears store and warehouse.

-down the street theres a single story strip of buildings that are dated from the 1940s and houses a bicycle shop and a children's book store. I has large windows in the front that have always caught my eye. Something about the proportion of the windows to the rest of the building reminded me of something. Then one day I noticed, carved into the top of the front facade "Cadillac". What's also interesting is how small a showroom was in those days.

-further down the street there's a dormitory for a local University that looks totally out of character with the rest of the neighborhood. I used to live in an apartment building directly behind this dorm, before it was a dorm. It's an old Holiday Inn from the 1960's.

-my favorite one from the neighborhood -- there is a restaurant that, when I first moved here 25 years ago, was a Greek restaurant. It has a concrete courtyard in front of it with some al fresco tables. The building itself is rather odd (those crazy Greeks) -- one side of the building is just a one story box (almost looks like an addition) and the other side has high facade with a crazy curved roof. I always thought it was some wacky modern architect thing. It's now a Japanese-Korean restaurant. I happened to mention it to a friend who is actually born and raised in the area who told me.....It's an old Arby's Roast Beef !!! It never occurred to me that a recontextualized Arby's would fool me, but fool me it did!

Anyway, these are some of the gems in my neighborhood. If you live someplace where you haven't been around to witness the evolution of the buildings in your area, and particularly if you live someplace that's been around a while, with a bit of history, then, next time your out and about, pay attention. See if you can spot the older buildings that have been reused and see what you can figure out about them. it's fun.

Comments

Dot Dwyer said…
A friend of my fathers , who grew up in the neighborhood, near Sacramento St. said that that stretch of road where the bike shop is and the next few blocks up were the original "Auto Mile" . When I was a little girl, the last vestige of that industry was a car lot where the Pier 1 Imports building is now.

Popular posts from this blog

The Invasion (repost)

The ships arrived at dawn and by 8:00 AM it was clear that wherever the aliens were from, they were far, far ahead of us technologically. They demanded not a world or national leader or statesman, not a poet laureate, but a common person to whom they would explain their demands. I had spent the night passed out at the laundromat after a party at Sullivan's. It was there that the UN Security Force found me and hustled me onto the alien shuttle. There were hordes of politicos, strategists, academics, etc. all babbling incessantly about what I should say and try to learn. I was just thinking of a cold Heineken and some sardines and crackers. On the ship I was led to a smallish room with a huge dais sized couch thing and a smaller, humanform chair. I took the chair. Shortly our alien invader appeared. It was big. REALLY big, like elephant big. It's body would be best described as fish like. Its head was a sunken cavity in the large end of the fish body that had two eyestalk like ap

A Rose By Any Other Name...

I was walking home from the grocery store yesterday and a flight of urban pigeons caught my eye as they flew toward me. As usual, a couple of them were flying precariously low, so that as they came closer I instinctively ducked. When this happens I'm not near as concerned that a pigeon is going to collide with me as I am that one is going to shit on me. It's happened. Anyway, all of this got me to thinking about...err...shit! I know this isn't an attractive topic for the old blog, but think about it -- for something as useless as shit, the human race has come up with a lot of words for it. They say Inuits have 100 different words to describe snow. I decided to see how many words came to mind to mean shit. Here goes: shit crap caca dung cowpie (specialized) manure spoor droppings guano excrement turd feces scat ordure That's about all that I can some up with. 14. That's 14 words to describe something that's useful for two things, fertilizer and medical dia

Mr. Creosote's food science....

I like to eat. Really. I appreciate well prepared food, be it some regional peasant fare or expertly crafted haute cuisine. I like to cook too, and I'm pretty good at it. I refuse to use a recipe and tend to like to prepare simpler, straightforward dishes. Sometimes after watching a cooking show or perusing a menu on the window of a fancy restaurant, I like to play a little game where I think about ideas for dishes that, frankly, sound uhhh, not so good. Here's a few ideas: -tuna pudding -peanut butter soup with canned asparagus spears and cranberries -angel hair pasta with stewed prunes -waffles with anchovy paste -oatmeal with braised eel -baked trout stuffed with parsnips and Brachs caramels -pan fried calves liver with orange sauce -egg rolls stuffed with cottage cheese and vienna sausages -gaspaucho of strawberries, waermelon, peaches, and oysters with a chicken fat meringue Isn't this fun? The best part is that one will hopefully never have to eat any of this!