Skip to main content

Truth in Advertising

I haven't owned a television for several years now. I know, I'm weird. I had to get rid of the my TV because if I have a TV I'll...well....watch it! All the time. I mean, I'd eventually have to get a feeding tube IV and be cathatarized. The other reason I can't own a TV is commercials. When I was in 8th grade, I was taught, as part of my multimedia class, about nefarious techniques used by advertisers. You know, bait and switch; food design in ad layouts; that sort of thing. Being an already cynical youth, and one of reasonable intelligence, I jumped on this like syrup on pancakes. Every advertisement became an exercise in 'spot the bullshit' for me and I became very good at it. For me, advertising, particularly TV advertising, is an exercise in being insulted. Because advertising is generally very insulting. At least to me it is. I often wonder about most other people because advertising clearly works. Companies spend millions of dollars doing research about human psychology, buying trends, you name it, and they continue to spend billions on advertising, so it must work.

Now I can watch TV on my computer. Oh joy. And I have been watching...and I have been insulted.

But I'm not here to rant about that. I'm here to talk about a particular ad I've seen lately that fascinates me. I've seen this ad interspersed with TV shows and movies on a popular web site for watching movies and TV shows. I don't know if it actually airs on broadcast TV, but since it's there alongside ads for fabric softener and Hungry Man TV dinners, assume it does.

This ad is for Trojan condoms. Okay, stop giggling, we all know what they're for. It's not the potentially titillating nature of the product that has me so fascinated about this ad. It's the fact that it is grossly insulting to the consumers who are the targets of the ad.

In the ad, there is a goofy soundtrack playing over a scene in a bar. There are several 'ladies' in the bar surrounded by pigs. That's right PIGS!!!! Real life farm hogs standing on their hind legs drinking and standing around. One of the pigs goes to the men's room, buys a condom from the handy Trojan dispenser, and is transformed into our typical 20-something, half shaven, shirtail out, denizen of vacuous city, who then saunters out and up to one of the aforementioned 'ladies', apparently a shoo in for Kama Sutric bliss.

The first time I saw this ad I was dumbfounded. I mean, this would be like WalMart ads featuring characters out of 'In the Heat of the Night' or McDonald's ad showing....well typical McDonald's customers!!! I mean, how does that work?!? Then I thought "Ahhh, they're targeting women as consumers of condoms" but if that was the case, the scenario would not be the PIG buying the condom from the dispenser in the Porcine/Men's lavatory.

So advertisers and their corporate clients have finally done away with any edifice of metaphor. They've stripped down their message to the essence, like Orwell's Newspeak they've done away with all of the frills and windowdressing and gotten down to the core of the message "you're all pigs until you buy what we're selling and we're not afraid to tell you so....because you're all too stupid to even realize what we're saying about you"

Gotta go, Battlestar is on.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invasion (repost)

The ships arrived at dawn and by 8:00 AM it was clear that wherever the aliens were from, they were far, far ahead of us technologically. They demanded not a world or national leader or statesman, not a poet laureate, but a common person to whom they would explain their demands. I had spent the night passed out at the laundromat after a party at Sullivan's. It was there that the UN Security Force found me and hustled me onto the alien shuttle. There were hordes of politicos, strategists, academics, etc. all babbling incessantly about what I should say and try to learn. I was just thinking of a cold Heineken and some sardines and crackers. On the ship I was led to a smallish room with a huge dais sized couch thing and a smaller, humanform chair. I took the chair. Shortly our alien invader appeared. It was big. REALLY big, like elephant big. It's body would be best described as fish like. Its head was a sunken cavity in the large end of the fish body that had two eyestalk like ap

A Rose By Any Other Name...

I was walking home from the grocery store yesterday and a flight of urban pigeons caught my eye as they flew toward me. As usual, a couple of them were flying precariously low, so that as they came closer I instinctively ducked. When this happens I'm not near as concerned that a pigeon is going to collide with me as I am that one is going to shit on me. It's happened. Anyway, all of this got me to thinking about...err...shit! I know this isn't an attractive topic for the old blog, but think about it -- for something as useless as shit, the human race has come up with a lot of words for it. They say Inuits have 100 different words to describe snow. I decided to see how many words came to mind to mean shit. Here goes: shit crap caca dung cowpie (specialized) manure spoor droppings guano excrement turd feces scat ordure That's about all that I can some up with. 14. That's 14 words to describe something that's useful for two things, fertilizer and medical dia

Mr. Creosote's food science....

I like to eat. Really. I appreciate well prepared food, be it some regional peasant fare or expertly crafted haute cuisine. I like to cook too, and I'm pretty good at it. I refuse to use a recipe and tend to like to prepare simpler, straightforward dishes. Sometimes after watching a cooking show or perusing a menu on the window of a fancy restaurant, I like to play a little game where I think about ideas for dishes that, frankly, sound uhhh, not so good. Here's a few ideas: -tuna pudding -peanut butter soup with canned asparagus spears and cranberries -angel hair pasta with stewed prunes -waffles with anchovy paste -oatmeal with braised eel -baked trout stuffed with parsnips and Brachs caramels -pan fried calves liver with orange sauce -egg rolls stuffed with cottage cheese and vienna sausages -gaspaucho of strawberries, waermelon, peaches, and oysters with a chicken fat meringue Isn't this fun? The best part is that one will hopefully never have to eat any of this!