Skip to main content

Brick and Mortar - RIP

So, yesterday a friend and I set out to update our percussion setups. We both play wind instruments and are learning to play hand drums -- congas (him) and african hand drums (me). So we go to the mega complex music store and start looking around...pretty bad. They have one each of the most expensive congas, but not whole sets. Their prices are also too high...so my friend inquires about a tumbao to match his conga. The saleschild (who has now clearly progressed to a daily thorazine dose as part of his mental hygiene regimen) mumbles something about the fact that they're not in stock. My friend inquires as to how long it would take to get one (answer: mumblemumblemumble) and then points out that the price they are asking is about $50 more than he's seen it elswhere online, to which he would also have to add sales tax. (answer:mumblemumblewe'llmatchanyadvertisedpricesmumblemumblemumble). My friend replies that if the salesdroid will look up a site on the internet, he can show him a lower price (answer:mumblenointernetaccessmumble).

We leave. Thinking that we understand how to deal with this problem, we head to XXXX's Drum Shop, figuring that a specialy store focused on percussion instruments will be the place to find what we need.

pretty bad....almost no inventory of the stuff we're looking for (or anything else for that matter). My friend inquires about the tumbao. The guy behind the counter (obviously the owner or manager) declares in a loud, clear voice that he NEVER stocks high end stuff, because "you're going to want a specific color, etc." He also wanted more for the items in question if they were ordered.

Now, I LIKE to support local merchants if they provide me with the stuff I need and give me good service. I'm willing to pay more for an item if I can go down to the shop and get it, get advice about it, yack with the guys, etc.

Having said that, I spent a lot of time last night thinking about our experience and trying to figure out what the people that own these businesses are thinking -- why would they expect me (or anyone else) to waste our time coming to their store, just to have them order somehing that we can order ourselves for more money and then have to charge us sales tax???? It makes no sense. The problem that brick and mortar stores have is that they are trying to compete with internet retailers on price alone, and that is a losing game....they can't. The ONLY way these stores will stay in business is to realize that their prospective clientele are the folks, like moi, that WILL support them and pay a little more if they extend themselves and provide good inventory, good service (put the thorazine kid in the warehouse or something), and value add through advice, maintenance help, clinics, instruction, etc.

Based on what I experienced yesterday, both of these establishments should simply close their doors and do business online.

Comments

wayn3w said…
I'm had similar experiences when buying a professional quality Ovation guitar. The Boston-area dealers carried only the lower end of the catalog. They were willing to order one for me, however.

In the Boston area, the majority of the music stores do not cater to the professional musicians. Instead, they cater to students, hobbyists and aspiring musicians. These people couldn't afford the higher end gear, or would rather spend the money on food, rent or diapers. So it isn't worth it for the stores to stock the high price gear in order to have it sit around gather dust or scratches.

It used to be better -- Boston used to get high-grade gear, but not at the lower NYC street prices.

What I wonder is whether the change is because the Boston Music scene isn't as thriving as it was, or it's a more general issue across the country.
Dot Dwyer said…
I can get you an antique gamelon -Cheap !

Popular posts from this blog

The Invasion (repost)

The ships arrived at dawn and by 8:00 AM it was clear that wherever the aliens were from, they were far, far ahead of us technologically. They demanded not a world or national leader or statesman, not a poet laureate, but a common person to whom they would explain their demands. I had spent the night passed out at the laundromat after a party at Sullivan's. It was there that the UN Security Force found me and hustled me onto the alien shuttle. There were hordes of politicos, strategists, academics, etc. all babbling incessantly about what I should say and try to learn. I was just thinking of a cold Heineken and some sardines and crackers. On the ship I was led to a smallish room with a huge dais sized couch thing and a smaller, humanform chair. I took the chair. Shortly our alien invader appeared. It was big. REALLY big, like elephant big. It's body would be best described as fish like. Its head was a sunken cavity in the large end of the fish body that had two eyestalk like ap

A Rose By Any Other Name...

I was walking home from the grocery store yesterday and a flight of urban pigeons caught my eye as they flew toward me. As usual, a couple of them were flying precariously low, so that as they came closer I instinctively ducked. When this happens I'm not near as concerned that a pigeon is going to collide with me as I am that one is going to shit on me. It's happened. Anyway, all of this got me to thinking about...err...shit! I know this isn't an attractive topic for the old blog, but think about it -- for something as useless as shit, the human race has come up with a lot of words for it. They say Inuits have 100 different words to describe snow. I decided to see how many words came to mind to mean shit. Here goes: shit crap caca dung cowpie (specialized) manure spoor droppings guano excrement turd feces scat ordure That's about all that I can some up with. 14. That's 14 words to describe something that's useful for two things, fertilizer and medical dia

Mr. Creosote's food science....

I like to eat. Really. I appreciate well prepared food, be it some regional peasant fare or expertly crafted haute cuisine. I like to cook too, and I'm pretty good at it. I refuse to use a recipe and tend to like to prepare simpler, straightforward dishes. Sometimes after watching a cooking show or perusing a menu on the window of a fancy restaurant, I like to play a little game where I think about ideas for dishes that, frankly, sound uhhh, not so good. Here's a few ideas: -tuna pudding -peanut butter soup with canned asparagus spears and cranberries -angel hair pasta with stewed prunes -waffles with anchovy paste -oatmeal with braised eel -baked trout stuffed with parsnips and Brachs caramels -pan fried calves liver with orange sauce -egg rolls stuffed with cottage cheese and vienna sausages -gaspaucho of strawberries, waermelon, peaches, and oysters with a chicken fat meringue Isn't this fun? The best part is that one will hopefully never have to eat any of this!